Justia Lawyer Rating
BBB Rating A+
Top Rated
Lead Counsel Rated
Yelp badge
Avvo Rating
Super Lawyers
30 Years badge
CNN Money
Reginal Chamber
Best Business of 2022 - ThreeBest Rated badge

What Options do I Have as a Father in a Paternity Case?

In any paternity complaint, there are two factual situations. The first factual situation is that the child is unborn. The second factual situation is that the child is born. In San Diego County, you can file a complaint to establish a paternal relationship even if the child is not yet born. This is very important to protect the father's rights, because that will give jurisdiction to San Diego County. In a complaint to establish a paternal relationship, you can allege that sexual intercourse occurred in San Diego. That can be the basis for jurisdiction. In the second factual situation where a child is already born, you can file the complaint to establish a paternal relationship normally wherever the child has been living for at least six months. You file that in the county courthouse where the child has resided for at least six months. By filing the complaint to establish a paternal relationship and having it served, that gives the court jurisdiction to make orders for parenting plans so that you can see your child.

Client Reviews
Dear Roy, I would like to thank you and all team members as well as office staff for helping me defend in this case. It has been a difficult time for me during the last couple of weeks, and now because of this success result, I am able to move forward with my new chapter of life, even a little late at this age!!! Again with much appreciation, I wish you all to continue to do the same with a big heart as it was with me, in helping those who are in need of your professional services. W.
Thank you for your time and energy on this case, you took so much of the worry away from me! I appreciate all of your help. I will use and recommend you to other in the future. T.S.
I want to take this time to thank you and your staff for an outstanding job with my case to terminate spousal, you are an excellent attorney Roy, and your staff is very professional and considerate to my questions and concerns of my case. Thank you very much again. T.Y.
I wanted to say how much I appreciate your help and advice in regards to my name change. Your assistance during this time has been invaluable. Thank you again. M.J.