Justia Badge
Bes 10 2016 badge
BBB badge
Three Best Rated 2017 badge
Top Rated badge badge
Lead Counseld Rated badge
TNA Top 100 Lawyers badge
Yelp Reviews badge
Avvo Rating badge
30 Years badge
Super Lawyers badge

Summary Dissolution of Marriage in San Diego Superior Court: Links to San Diego Superior Court Website and California Courts and Information About Requirements: Part One


An excellent resource for information on a summary divorce can be found on the San Diego Superior Court website. The link is below. Make sure to go to the family law section.


Below are some additional links for your ease of use with a short description of the link. This can be a complicated process and you must follow all the rules.

A "summary dissolution" is an easier and shorter procedure than a "regular dissolution". Both do end the marriage and return the spouses to the status of single. This summary dissolution procedure, however, is only available to spouses who meet specific conditions.

The first link is to the Judicial Council of California information booklet detailing the procedures for a summary dissolution. This includes detailed instructions as well as the joint petition. Again, if you are going to self represent, make sure you read carefully and understand all and follow all requirement.

1. Summary Dissolution Information booklet (Form FL-810).

This booklet and all the necessary forms can be found on the California Courts website. The links below are for your use. Make sure that the link works and is up to date as it was as of the time of the writing of this article. Again, make sure to read the booklet and use the forms provided which are approved by the California Judicial Council.


Either of the parties must submit for filing the Judgment of Dissolution and Notice of Entry of Judgment (Family Law - Summary Dissolution) (Form #FL-825).

The Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution (Form FL-800) is mandatory and cannot be waived. Unlike a regular dissolution, a summary dissolution requires the signatures of both parties. If both parties do not sign, then you must file a regular dissolution which only requires the signature of one party to initiate the case. The submitting party must provide two copies of the joint petition along with two envelopes with postage added with one envelope addressed to each party. The judgment will be processed by the San Diego Superior Court. It may take weeks or months for your planning purposes. In addition, you will need to complete and file one additional local form which is the Family Law Certificate Of Assignment (SDSC Form # D-49). This form is to insure that you are filing your summary dissolution in the correct courthouse. There are four court houses for filing the summary dissolution in San Diego County: San Diego downtown; Vista; Chula Vista and El Cajon You need to bring the originals of all documents as well as two copies of all documents to the court for filing. There is a fee to file your Petition with the court. The court accepts Visa/MasterCard, personal checks and cash or money orders. Money orders or checks should be made payable to "Clerk of the Court."


Part Two of this article discusses and lists the requirements for a summary dissolution. If you do not qualify, then you will need to proceed with a regular [non summary] dissolution. There is much more paperwork and pleadings needed for a regular divorce but if you do not qualify for a summary dissolution, then no other option.


Doppelt and Forney, APLC, can represent you in your summary dissolution and make sure all pleadings and documents needed are in the proper format and the procedure which is followed is correct. Feel free to contact the law office for a no cost consultation up to 30 minutes. Summary dissolutions are less expensive than regular dissolutions for legal fees, in most cases, as well.

Client Reviews
Thank you for your time and energy on this case, you took so much of the worry away from me! I appreciate all of your help. I will use and recommend you to other in the future. T.S.
I want to take this time to thank you and your staff for an outstanding job with my case to terminate spousal, you are an excellent attorney Roy, and your staff is very professional and considerate to my questions and concerns of my case. Thank you very much again. T.Y.
I wanted to say how much I appreciate your help and advice in regards to my name change. Your assistance during this time has been invaluable. Thank you again. M.J.
Contact Us
  1. 1 Free In-Office Consultation
  2. 2 30+ Years Experience
  3. 3 Certified Family Law Specialist

Fill out the contact form or call us at 1-800-ROYISIT (769-4748) or 858-312-8500 to schedule your free in-office consultation.