Justia Badge
BBB badge
Top Rated badge badge
Lead Counseld Rated badge
TNA Top 100 Lawyers badge
Yelp Reviews badge
Avvo Rating badge
30 Years badge
Super Lawyers badge

Summary Dissolution FAQs

Trust the experienced San Diego divorce lawyers at The Law Office of Doppelt and Forney, APLC to guide you through your California summary dissolution. Call our office today at 1-800-769-4748 to schedule your free in-person or virtual consultation with an attorney today.

Should I Get a California Summary Dissolution?

A summary dissolution is a quicker and easier way to divorce, but it's not for everyone. There are many requirements you must pass in order to qualify for a summary dissolution.

Do I Qualify for a Summary Dissolution?

Below is a full list of qualifications you and your spouse must pass in order to qualify for a summary dissolution:

  1. You've lived in California for at least 6 months, and you've lived in the county you want to file in for at least 3 months.
  2. You've been married for less than 5 years.
  3. You have no children together and you are not expecting.
  4. You do not owe more than $6,000 for debts acquired since you're marriage date (excluding cars).
  5. You have less than $41,000 worth of property acquired during the marriage (excluding cars).
  6. Your separate property is worth less than $41,000 (excluding cars).
  7. You agree neither spouse will ever receive spousal support.
  8. Have a signed agreement that divides your property.

If you do not qualify, we recommend you call an attorney who will help you understand your options and next steps.

How Do I File for a Summary Dissolution in San Diego?

If you meet all the requirements for a summary dissolution, you can start the process by reading the Summary Dissolution Information Booklet. This booklet provides you with information to help you through your case.

You then must find your correct courthouse based on where you currently live. From there, you will need to fill out your Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution, along with many other forms, worksheets, and financial declarations. You can find all of the forms you need here. We suggest you consult an attorney to ensure all forms are being filled out completely and correctly.

After accurately completing all forms, file them with the court clerk.

There is a 6 month waiting period. After 6 months, your divorce is eligible to be final.

How Do I Get a Fee Waiver?

You can ask for a fee waiver if you are low-income and cannot afford to pay the filing fee. You must fill out the Request to Waive Court Fees form, sign it, and turn it in to the court clerk. Click here to get more information about the fee waiver.

How Much Does a Summary Dissolution Cost?

Because you are filing a Joint Petition for Summary Dissolution, there will only be one filing fee of $435. In regular divorce cases, each spouse has to pay $435.

How Long Does a Summary Dissolution Take?

Once you and your spouse are able to come to an agreement and file all the required paperwork with the court, there will be a 6 month waiting period. After the 6 month waiting period, you will be divorced.

What if We Change Our Mind?

If you decide you do not want to get a summary dissolution during the 6 month waiting period, you can file a Notice of Revocation of Petition for Summary Dissolution with your court. This cancels the summary dissolution case. If one spouse still wants to get divorced, they must file for a regular divorce. If this happens, we strongly suggest you speak with an attorney.

San Diego Divorce Lawyers

Find out if a summary dissolution is right for you. Doppelt and Forney, APLC, can represent you in your summary dissolution and prepare all pleadings and documents for you. Call now at 800-769-4748 to schedule your free in-person or virtual consultation with a seasoned family law attorney. We proudly serve clients in San Diego and surrounding communities, including Chula Vista, Coronado, Carlsbad, Encinitas, La Jolla, Oceanside, Ramona, San Marcos and Vista.

Client Reviews
Thank you for your time and energy on this case, you took so much of the worry away from me! I appreciate all of your help. I will use and recommend you to other in the future. T.S.
I want to take this time to thank you and your staff for an outstanding job with my case to terminate spousal, you are an excellent attorney Roy, and your staff is very professional and considerate to my questions and concerns of my case. Thank you very much again. T.Y.
I wanted to say how much I appreciate your help and advice in regards to my name change. Your assistance during this time has been invaluable. Thank you again. M.J.
Contact Us
  1. 1 Free In-Person & Virtual Consultation
  2. 2 30+ Years Experience
  3. 3 Certified Family Law Specialist

Fill out the contact form or call us at 1-800-ROYISIT (769-4748) or 858-312-8500 to schedule your free In-Person or Virtual Consultation.