Justia Lawyer Rating
BBB Rating A+
Top Rated
Lead Counsel Rated
Yelp badge
Avvo Rating
Super Lawyers
30 Years badge
CNN Money
Reginal Chamber
Best Business of 2022 - ThreeBest Rated badge

How do I Modify an Alimony Order in the Future?

An alimony or spousal support order is normally modifiable. If you're pre-judgment and have a temporary order for support, meaning that you don't have a judgment in your divorce yet, you can normally modify without any change of circumstances. However, once your judgment is entered, you will normally need a change of circumstances. A change of circumstances can include facts such as loss of employment, one party remarrying, one party getting additional income. And it's very important also, when talking about modifying spousal support, to consider the duration or length of the marriage. If your marriage is more than ten years, normally the judges will set a termination date of one-half the duration of the marriage. If your marriage, however, is more than ten years, normally the judges will reserve jurisdiction. It is very important, if you're the payor of spousal support, to ask for a Gavron warning, or a work admonition. If this is not complied with, this can be very powerful as a change of circumstance to try and modify spousal support in the future.

Client Reviews
Dear Roy, I would like to thank you and all team members as well as office staff for helping me defend in this case. It has been a difficult time for me during the last couple of weeks, and now because of this success result, I am able to move forward with my new chapter of life, even a little late at this age!!! Again with much appreciation, I wish you all to continue to do the same with a big heart as it was with me, in helping those who are in need of your professional services. W.
Thank you for your time and energy on this case, you took so much of the worry away from me! I appreciate all of your help. I will use and recommend you to other in the future. T.S.
I want to take this time to thank you and your staff for an outstanding job with my case to terminate spousal, you are an excellent attorney Roy, and your staff is very professional and considerate to my questions and concerns of my case. Thank you very much again. T.Y.
I wanted to say how much I appreciate your help and advice in regards to my name change. Your assistance during this time has been invaluable. Thank you again. M.J.