Justia Lawyer Rating
BBB Rating A+
Top Rated
Lead Counsel Rated
Yelp badge
Avvo Rating
Super Lawyers
30 Years badge
CNN Money
Reginal Chamber
Best Business of 2022 - ThreeBest Rated badge

Can a Rate of Return be Attributed to Assets for Purposes of Calculating Guideline Child Support in San Diego Superior Court for a Divorce, Legal Separation or Paternity?

Child support cases, which include paternity, divorce, or legal separation, has the San Diego Superior Court Judge to calculate the California Guideline child support at a noticed motion. If parents cannot agree on child support, the Judge must decide the child support amount based on the guideline calculation. There are also cases where a request to deviate from the state guidelines may be made. Most cases in which Child support is ordered are of legal separation, divorce, and paternity, where there are minor children. Minor children (excluding the children having special needs) means graduating from high school and being 18 years of age or 19 years of age. In some cases, what is considered “income” becomes a disputed issue resulting in litigation. For most family law cases for child support calculation, the parties can agree on either the guideline or a non guideline amount. The Law Office of Doppelt and Forney, APLC has full time licensed California attorneys who offer a virtual consultation up to 30 minutes at no charge. You can call 800-769-4749 to schedule.

The guideline child support calculations involves many factors which are listed below; however, one of the most important in these is both the time share and the income of the parties. Other factors which are used in the guideline child support calculation, consist of (but are not limited to) the following listed below:

  • wages and salaries
  • filing status of the parties
  • number of federal exemptions
  • number of children of the parties
  • percentage of time with the noncustodial parent
  • TANF plus any child support received
  • other taxable income
  • self-employment income
  • new spouse income
  • spousal support paid to another marriage
  • necessary job-related expenses
  • health insurance
  • required union dues
  • interest paid for a primary residence
  • mandatory retirement
  • the property tax paid for a primary residence
  • hardship deductions
  • other non-taxable income

One of the following issues among these is income. A share of the parents combined child support income is used to calculate the net income for calculation purposes under the state guideline for child support. If there is an amount of money present in an account, interest which is paid on the capital may be considered income by the Judge. So also are either short term or intermediate-term treasury bills or certificates of the deposits which pay interest. The certificates of these deposits are normally from major financial institutions such as Citi Bank, Bank of America, Chase, or others. However, in some cases, you will need an expert opinion as to the reasonable rate of return. The amount of the interest will vary depending on the prime rate and other factors at the time the Court hears the child support motion.

The equity of a primary residence is not used for attributing a rate of return back under the California Law. It can be more complicated than it would appear. There’s a state rule calculator “online”, and you can utilize this to calculate your child amount for your case. Also, an attorney can offer you a private discussion and calculate your child support utilizing the Disso Master program, which is the law as a California State Child Support program.

If you need to modify your child support, a realistic expectation of the amount is very useful information in determining whether to settle or litigate. Time and attorney fees can be exhaustive. Doppelt and Forney, APLC have the disso master program in their office and can calculate your individual child support guideline amount in a free in-person or virtual consultation. This way, you can make an informed decision.

Client Reviews
Dear Roy, I would like to thank you and all team members as well as office staff for helping me defend in this case. It has been a difficult time for me during the last couple of weeks, and now because of this success result, I am able to move forward with my new chapter of life, even a little late at this age!!! Again with much appreciation, I wish you all to continue to do the same with a big heart as it was with me, in helping those who are in need of your professional services. W.
Thank you for your time and energy on this case, you took so much of the worry away from me! I appreciate all of your help. I will use and recommend you to other in the future. T.S.
I want to take this time to thank you and your staff for an outstanding job with my case to terminate spousal, you are an excellent attorney Roy, and your staff is very professional and considerate to my questions and concerns of my case. Thank you very much again. T.Y.
I wanted to say how much I appreciate your help and advice in regards to my name change. Your assistance during this time has been invaluable. Thank you again. M.J.