Justia Lawyer Rating
BBB Rating A+
Top Rated
Lead Counsel Rated
Yelp badge
Avvo Rating
Super Lawyers
30 Years badge
CNN Money
Reginal Chamber
Best Business of 2022 - ThreeBest Rated badge

2012: How Can You Change Your Name Pursuant to a Divorce Decree or Nullity in San Diego Superior Court?

In a divorce in San Diego Superior Court, there is a procedure to have a former name or a birth name restored in the entry of judgment for a nullity or divorce decree. Even if the birth name or former name is not restored in the entry of judgment, a request can be made post judgment for this relief. The request needs to be made in the same court house in San Diego as where the judgment was entered. While San Diego County is the same county throughout, there are five court houses where divorce and nullity cases are heard: Vista court house in North San Diego County; Chula Vista in South San Diego County; El Cajon court house in East San Diego County and the two downtown San Diego court houses located in the main family law court house on 6th Avenue and the Madge Bradley court house located on 4th Avenue. This name change law does not apply to legal separation or paternity. A legal separation also results in a judgment but the judgment does not terminate the legal status so the two parties are still married. A paternity case is one in which the mother and father are not married at the time of birth or conception and will also lead to a judgment of paternity but this does not include a name change and only legal and physical custody of a child or children and child support orders in most cases.

In a divorce or nullity, the San Diego Superior Court Judge shall restore either the birth name or former name upon application whether or not this was requested in the original petition. In a petition for divorce or nullity, there is a box to check whether the party would like to have their former name restored. In many cases, this box is not checked but this does not preclude the Court from granting this request.

In the law, there is still some gender bias as this is normally referred to as restoration of the “wife’s name” and not the husband. In some cases, the husband and wife now hyphenate their names as some parents do in paternity cases. In some cases, the husband will take the wife’s name. Notwithstanding the reference to the “wife’s name”, a husband can also request this relief for restoration to his former name or birth name. This can be included in the Judgment for Dissolution so that the Judgment can be used for name change for legal purposes: social security; drivers license; passport; etc. While placing the name change information into the marriage settlement agreement is done, this is not considered a Judgment for the name change.

The Court can only deny the motion for the name change due to fraud and not due to any other reason according to the California Family Law Code. It is worth mentioning that any person can file an application for a name change and, in San Diego County, this is done in the civil division and not in the family law division. This would include legal separation as well as paternity cases.

If you would like to change your name, either in your pending divorce or nullity, please feel free to contact us for a complimentary virtual consultation.

Client Reviews
Dear Roy, I would like to thank you and all team members as well as office staff for helping me defend in this case. It has been a difficult time for me during the last couple of weeks, and now because of this success result, I am able to move forward with my new chapter of life, even a little late at this age!!! Again with much appreciation, I wish you all to continue to do the same with a big heart as it was with me, in helping those who are in need of your professional services. W.
Thank you for your time and energy on this case, you took so much of the worry away from me! I appreciate all of your help. I will use and recommend you to other in the future. T.S.
I want to take this time to thank you and your staff for an outstanding job with my case to terminate spousal, you are an excellent attorney Roy, and your staff is very professional and considerate to my questions and concerns of my case. Thank you very much again. T.Y.
I wanted to say how much I appreciate your help and advice in regards to my name change. Your assistance during this time has been invaluable. Thank you again. M.J.